[Xymon] xymon installation on red hat 7

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 22:51:05 CET 2019

For the clients, the Xymon server can distribute update tarballs that get installed automatically.  You have to pick between that and OS packaging (rpm, deb, whatever); using both would be chaos.  One can make choices where to build that support different Linux distros; my tarball of binaries works fine on both CentOS 7 and Ubuntu Bionic, for example.  But that's just for home, and that may not scale for enterprise use, esp. since the more distros and versions you try to support with a single tarball, the dicier it may get; not to mention that method of distribution doesn't ensure dependencies are validly satisfied (unless, I suppose, you build against static libraries for those).

Still, different situations make different choices workable.