[Xymon] What does the 'dns' test do?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Mar 12 16:38:35 CET 2019

On 3/12/2019 5:57 AM, SebA wrote:
> I don't really understand why you would be negating the dns test on the
> server, rather than just removing it altogether.

A negated test is affirming a service is _not_ accessible.
Removing the test is not caring if the service is answering.
These are two different business needs.

Even if one confirms by some other means that a firewall product is
running, there is only one way to confirm that product is doing its job.
One must attempt to gain entry and see that access is denied.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska