[Xymon] Encrypted Xymon reporting over SSL using stunnel

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Sat Mar 9 03:10:15 CET 2019

I'm not sure which standard is in use here, so I'll just top post like Richard did.  Please don't shoot me.

People always go for certs... And then they expire and stuff starts breaking or alerting right and left all at once.  GACK!

For real hilarity, make them expire ten years out.  By that time, no one even remembers that certs were even installed or what they're for.  As the home loan industry said right
before the big crash, IBG, UBG (I be gone, you be gone).

 From one who has had to deal with such mass silliness, take it from me, it's NO FUN and REALLY tedious to fix.

"But I'll just use the cert for tunnel authentication" I hear you say... If in-authentic communication (even self signed) isn't denied, do we care if it's signed really?   If we do
care then we deny communication/ignore messages. Now we've lost reporting links and visibility.

Some form of message authentication is probably a good idea though.  Just something that doesn't expire and can be revoked as needed.  gpg/pgp keys maybe, but then we get the issue
of gpg/pgp key distribution/signing.  Key per monitored system... Anyone want to manage THAT?