[Xymon] Lost procs

Michael T Pins mtpins at nndev.org
Sat Jun 22 14:42:28 CEST 2019

Seip, Christopher writes:

>For one of my Xymon clients running xymon-client, the procs column has disa=
>ppeared.

>My narrative of how this started & what we did lacks some clarity. I think =
>procs was visible last week. If it was there I'd bet a paycheck the status =
>was clear.

Which means you didn't have any process checks for it defined.  Which is
normal.

> One day last week it went purple.

Which means the client stopped reporting the process data (generally the
output of a `ps` command.

>So we began troubleshooting & fiddling with it, puzzled by the purple statu=
>s. I was able to drop the procs test for that host, and it vanished from th=
>e web UI.

>Then I defined a PROC test for this host in analysis.cfg. We do all our cli=
>ent configuration on the Xymon server and avoid the local configs of Xymon =
>clients. This PROC test, in fact the PROC column for this group (of which o=
>nly this one host is locally monitored), isn't showing up. Hm.

Which means that client still isn't reporting the output of `ps`.

>We've been poking at this puzzle long enough to ask for some help, please. =
>Any thoughts?

Look at the clientlog column for that client.  Do you see anything under
"[ps]"?

Is there anything interesting in the xymon logs on the client (usually, but
not always, in ~xymon/client/logs).