[Xymon] IP address

Becker Christian christian.becker at rhein-zeitung.net
Thu Jun 13 10:59:25 CEST 2019

Leon,

i did this in the past and from my experience I can say it is not enough to simply restart the xymon services.

In my case, I had to reflect these additional steps:

a)
Make your basic server config work correctly - reflect your changes to /etc/hosts and whatever files are needed for your linux distro to have the server get the right IP address after a reboot.

b)
I had to change the settings in "xymonserver.cfg". In my installation, there was an entry "XYMONSERVERIP" that did not point to 127.0.0.1 - so I had to change this.

c)
I needed to recompile xymon on the server. Probably this was because I was coming from an elder version of xymon.
So I went into my directory from where I installed xymon.
There I changed the file "Makefile". In this "Makefile" there is an entry "XYMONHOSTIP" that also did not point to 127.0.0.1 - so I had to change this.
Afterwards, I did a "make" and "make install".
After that xymon did start.

d)
As soon as you configured your xymon clients to report to an IP-address instead to a xymon-server-name: you need to change all of your xymon clients as well in the file xymonclient.cfg.
There is an entry XYMSRV.
After doing that restart the xymon services on your clients.
If you have Windows clients you need to change the settings either in bbwin or psclient - whatever you are using.

This was what was necessary for MY installation - I cannot say if this will do the trick for YOUR installation.

Hope this works for you!

Regards
Christian