[Xymon] monitoring Domain Controllers

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Thu Jan 31 21:23:50 CET 2019

That's not a bad idea.

Unfortunately, there is work to do there.

I created the DNS domain originally, and then another group got on "my" network and did windows.  Then another group got on and used the domain.

The first group pulled out, after building up their own network, but the Windows Domain is still needed.

The first group never integrated the Windows DNS with the real DNS domain in the corporation.  Somehow, I have to do that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Xymon <xymon-bounces at xymon.com> On Behalf Of Adam Thorn
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:59 PM
To: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: Re: [Xymon] monitoring Domain Controllers

On 31/01/2019 18:29, Root, Paul T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, I inherited some Windows machines. Including a pair of Domain
> controllers.
>
> I’m wonderingwhat are somethings I’m going to want to monitor to make
> sure these things keep running?
>
> I have the Powershell client installed no problem.
>
> I see DNS and DHCP services, and am adding those.

Not quite answering your question, but: rather than testing those on the
client, you could also consider a server-side test - e.g. a good way to
check on a DNS server is to send a DNS query and check the response. You
can do that just by adding the "dns" flag in hosts.cfg

http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man5/hosts.cfg.5.html#lbAP

Or to test a DHCP server, send a DHCP request to it - here's a script
that uses the dhcping (sic) tool to do that:

https://wiki.xymonton.org/doku.php/monitors:dhcp

A functioning DC ought to respond to ldap queries, so...

http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man5/hosts.cfg.5.html#lbAS

Adam