[Xymon] Configuring the debian xymon client

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Thu Jan 17 02:12:32 CET 2019

On 1/16/2019 2:23 PM, Adam Thorn wrote:
> On 16/01/2019 22:44, John Thurston wrote:
>> With my inability to make the client work in 'local-mode' (see my note
>> to the list of Jan 3), I'm trying to make it work in its default mode.
. . .
>> How do I trim this client's behavior down to size?
>
> The way xymon works is that in the default "central" mode, a script runs
> periodically on the client which sends data to the "central" server
> where it's then parsed to generate the various test results. The message
> sent to the server contains the output of e.g.
>
> /usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-linux.sh
>
> or more generally whichever OS-specific script in that directory is
> executed by xymonclient.sh. So in terms of "pumping [data] across the
> network": your client sends whatever that script outputs.

I'm quite comfortable adjusting what tests results are displayed. I was
hoping there was some way to configure what the client sends, as I don't
want all that stuff collected (nor sent plaintext across my network).

It looks like I'll need to hack the script, and see how the parser on
the xymon server reacts.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration