[Xymon] XYMON in Solaris

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 23:08:19 CET 2019

My server, running 4.3.28, is on Solaris 11.3.  Some of my clients are x86 (Solaris 10 or 11.3) or SPARC (Solaris 9, 10, 11.3).  If you use Xymon to distribute client updates (I do), build separate tarballs on x86 and SPARC, each on the earliest OS version you want to support; those will generally work fine on later OS versions too.  I don't have anything that could run SPARC 11.4 at home (!), and haven't yet set up any x86 VMs for 11.4 (can't upgrade existing ones from 11.3 to 11.4 without a support contract, and that's way beyond my means for home use), so I don't know whether that would introduce any new problems.

Other than that, I don't recall any major difficulties, although on older versions, one might need to supply some dependencies (pcre?) that the OS might not supply.  opencsw might have some of those packaged.  It's been awhile since 4.3.28 was released, and my setup is just for my systems, zones, LDOMs, and VMs at home, so my documentation is minimal and my memory fuzzy...which mainly means it couldn't have been all that much bother.