[Xymon] Xymon client in localmode (debian linux)

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Thu Jan 3 22:36:46 CET 2019

I've got a Raspberry Pi running "Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)".

I'm able to
   apt-get install xymon-client
Which installs 4.3.28-2, and I'm able to use the xymon 'ping' message to
get an answer from my xymon server. Now I need to make the client work
in local-config mode.

I've added the ip address and fqdn of the host in the hosts.cfg on my
xymon server. It appears on the web page, and xymonnet tests work and
are displayed. The host is not present in the 'ghosts' report.

I've figured out I can get the client to report fqdn by appending
   --hostname=foo.bar.com
to xymonclient.sh in
   /etc/xymon/clientlaunch.cfg

I tried appending
   --local
to the same line, but the client still does not seem to be doing
anything for me. The user xymon has a couple of processes running:
   vmstat
   xymonlaunch
the clientlaunch.log file contains a couple of lines:
>  xymonlaunch starting

I can use the xymon command to explicitly send a 'status' message to the
xymon server, and it is accepted and displayed.

Can anyone help me get this client running in local-config mode?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska