[Xymon] Goodbye and thanks for all the fish

Adrian Ball ade at hp5.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 18:13:15 CEST 2019

Indeed.  A couple of years ago, I started a contract at a place which
had no monitoring yet, because 'We have a monitoring project to spec and
install the "latest and greatest whizz-bang tool" - it will be up and
running "soon"'.
I was designing and building loads of new systems from scratch (to
provide paid-for, managed application services for this company's
customers), and setting up the config management, so could embed the
monitoring client for whatever tool they wanted, as part of the
automated build process.

Fine, I said - I'll just set up Xymon *for now*, so we have *something*
(I played it down, not wanting to put any noses out of joint) whilst
awaiting the outcome of the project.  I referred to it as the "Interim
monitoring solution".

I finished my contract a year later.  Another year after that, Xymon is
still running and providing all the monitoring and alerting (and dug
them out of many holes over the course of that time).  The customers are
told that there is a whizz-bang all-singing and dancing integrated
monitoring and alerting system in place.

The other project is still in the pilot stage...