[Xymon] Yet another flap

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Apr 25 21:21:03 CEST 2019

On 4/25/2019 7:27 AM, Ron Cohen wrote:
> Hi
> have one server which keeps flapping on msgs. Spent hours to look for
> the obvious culprit (another feeder) until it dawn on me that it must
> be the logfetch, since there are no issues with other columns.
> And indeed, after running logfetch with --debug=stderr, I discovered
> that it is not always running - I mean not triggered at all - which
> triggered the flapping status.
> I dug here and there, to no avail. Any bright ideas are welcome..

After the initial two runs, it should run and generate with each
xymonclient-linux.sh execution. Make sure you're running as the
appropriate user and with write privileges into the logfetch.status file
when executing it by hand.

For debugging, you can wrap the call in the shell code with whichever
output you'd like and it will return in the temporary .msg file as it's
constructed. If it's executing, but not doing anything, you could
prepend an strace to see if it's short exiting for some reason.

For what should be a last result, you could try clearing that file out
to force it to rescan all log files from their start position.

HTH,

-jc