[Xymon] Roadmap/GitHub?/IPv6

Christian Herzog herzog at phys.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 9 09:12:54 CEST 2019

Hi JC,

I now compiled 4.4 alpha and set up a test server. IPv4 monitoring is working
as expected. Can you remind me how to specify IPv6 tests? I found
https://lists.xymon.com/archive/2016-October/043993.html but can't make much
sense of it.

in particular:
- do I need any compile switches to enable IPv6 support?
- how to specify a v6 host? I tried
    2a01:4f8:162:464::113 testhost and
    [2a01:4f8:162:464::113] testhost
  the first yields conn red and the second doesn't work at all
- separate v6 hosts file ok, how to make it known then?

thanks,
-Christian

On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 08:53:39AM -0700, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> That's actually really great to hear. The current 4.4 alpha would be
> https://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/HEAD/tree/branches/4.x-master/
>
> I'll probably branch that after forward porting these patches coming in to
> 4.3.29, and trying to reduce some of the warnings I'm seeing in compiles. In
> the meantime, any validation from snapshots off that branch would be
> helpful.
>
> Regards,
> -jc
>
> On 4/5/2019 4:47 AM, Christian Herzog wrote:
> > hey JC,
> >
> > thanks for the status update. I've done some pretty extensive IPv6 xymon
> > testing 6 years ago ([1] and later private emails with Henrik) and found IPv6
> > support to be in pretty good shape in then 4.3.99.tgz. However, none of this
> > seems to be in 4.3.28.
> > Since we're now once again (and for reals this time!) on the verge of
> > introducing IPv6 into our networks, I'll have to come back to working on xymon
> > IPv6. I'd be happy to do all sorts of testing, but where to start? I can't
> > even find any 4.4 (alpha) tree out there.
> > Can you advise?
> >
> > thanks and best regards,
> > -Christian
> >

> > [1] https://xymon.xymon.narkive.com/BbXHR8kH/status-of-ipv6-support
> > On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 06:46:52AM -0800, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
> > > I think a larger discussion on Xymon's roadmap in terms of Docker and
> > > container analysis is definitely something warranted. A host-based approach
> > > tends to invite individualized responses to coordination among varying
> > > levels of architecture (including both host -> hypervisor, baremetal (eg,
> > > DRAC) -> host, and hypervisor "status" reporting), but containers' typically
> > > ephemeral nature could merit a distinct reference point -- or not, if it's
> > > desired to have them persistently reportable. Host-Svc may or may not make
> > > sense there.
> > >
> > > I tend to agree that a move to Github may be helpful here at this point -
> > > athough with the various community issues people have had with GH since MS's
> > > purchase, it seems there has been a bit of an outcry, I'm not sure there's
> > > much SF will end up being able to capitalize on. It would certainly make
> > > PR's easier to coordinate and invite more interaction.
> > >
> > > The largest stalling point on the roadmap here was indeed the IPv6
> > > transition. I think things are releasable in an Alpha state, and that was
> > > the intent at the last release, but it's been difficult to find any site
> > > using IPv6 at sufficient scale who could help with the testing process.
> > > That's a bit of a Catch-22 though, and perhaps it would be best to release
> > > an easy reference point for future testing and go from there - along with
> > > the various other patches that I've received. (And this does raise the
> > > question of what the next highest priorities out there will be.)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > -jc

Dr. Christian Herzog <herzog at phys.ethz.ch>  support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT H 8                    voice: +41 44 633 39 50
Department of Physics, ETH Zurich
8093 Zurich, Switzerland                     http://nic.phys.ethz.ch/