[Xymon] Xymon-Client in Solaris

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 02:54:12 CEST 2019

I don't recall doing anything particularly special for configuring, building, or installing either client or server on Solaris 10 or 11 (server on SPARC Solaris 11, in my case - a 2nd-hand T5240).  I have clients on amd64 (x86-64) Solaris 10 and 11 too, as well as on CentOS and Ubuntu Linux; the different Linux distros, both recent, could use the same tarball including binaries.  Solaris binaries in general, and further, SPARC and amd64 binaries, are of course different.  I built my SPARC Solaris client on the oldest box (Solaris 9 on a Sun Blade 100), and it works fine on the SPARC clients running Solaris 10 or 11.  That's a good rule if you want that sort of thing to work, build the client on the oldest of that OS and architecture, and compatibility should generally cover you.

You might need some open source libraries and tools, including pcre.  As I recall, what I didn't already have, I got from opencsw.org, which installs in /opt/csw/{bin, include, lib, etc} (csw stands for community software); you may have to do something to tell the config scripts where to find those libraries and include files.  Some/many OpenCSW items might need two packages, e.g. xxx for the libs and xxx_devel or some such for the headers.

I was definitely happier using Apache 2.4 than 2.2 (particularly with certificate-based authentication); both are vendor packages for Solaris 11, as I recall.

It's been awhile since the last official Xymon release, and (to me) it wasn't hard enough to take notes, although it's certainly not the first thing I've built on Solaris.  I'm away from some of my toys now, so reconstructing what I did in further detail would be rather tedious at this time.  There may be others on this list that recall more detail.

Be sure to read http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/install.html; in conjunction with what I've said, that's probably enough to figure it out.