[Xymon] xymonnet blocking

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Fri Sep 21 00:19:28 CEST 2018

On 9/20/2018 10:34 AM, Dave "doughnut" Fogarty wrote:
> In your tasks.cfg, try "MAXTIME 10m" to the "[xymonnet]" block.  Alter
> the "10m" to your taste.  Probably something shorter than your
> STATUSLIFETIME.

This is exactly what I was looking for, Dave. Thank you.

I'll note here that it kinda-sorta works as expected. The documentation
indicates, "The time is in seconds by default, you can specify minutes,
hours or days by adding an "m", "h" or "d" after the number." So
   MAXTIME 30
means the limit on the task is 30 seconds, while
   MAXTIME 30m
means the limit is 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, that is not the behavior I see (4.3.28 on Solaris 10)
If I append any letters after the number, it appears to work as expected
until it randomly stops and throws a line in xymonlaunch.log
   Killing hung task xymonnet (PID 3210) after 5 seconds
The time mentioned varies a bit, but it bears no relationship to the
time I've specified in the MAXTIME option.

When I specify 1m, it will sometimes kill while announcing a 5s limit.
When I specify 7m, it will sometimes kill while announcing a 10s limit

It seems to work as expected if I specify the time in seconds (with no
alphabetic unit suffix). So to get my desired 7 minute max, I've put
   MAXTIME 420

The syntax noted for MAXTIME is the same as is noted for INTERVAL. I am
using 5m as the value for INTERVAL with no difficulty. I've also dug in
the source code for xymonlaunch.c. The segments of code for the two
options look the same. I am unable to explain why INTERVAL accepts my
time with an 'm' uni-suffix while MAXTIME will not.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska