[Xymon] RRD files are too big

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Wed Mar 28 18:03:23 CEST 2018

On 3/28/2018 9:12 AM, Mills,David (HHSC Contractor) wrote:

> On a related note, I see lots (sometimes dozens, depending on the
> client) of RRD files with names “ifstat.#.#.#.#.rrd”, where the ‘#’
> are numbers, like this sampling:
>
> -rw-r-----    1 xymon xymon 423K Mar  6 20:07 ifstat.47.147.0.12.rrd
>
> -rw-r-----    1 xymon xymon 423K Mar  6 20:12 ifstat.108.0.121.0.rrd
>
> -rw-r-----    1 xymon xymon 423K Mar  7 02:53 ifstat.73.68.58.9.rrd
>
> -rw-r-----    1 xymon xymon 423K Mar  7 09:23 ifstat.0.1.0.128.rrd
>
> -rw-r-----    1 xymon xymon 423K Mar  7 09:23 ifstat.0.116.111.32.rrd
>
> -rw-r-----    1 xymon xymon 423K Mar  7 09:23 ifstat.101.115.115.32.rrd

Looks like the filenames are generated from information sent by the
xymon client running on the host.  I see files with interface names on
my Xymon server. These are from a client running on a SPARC Solaris system:

rrd/sahara/ifstat.bge1.rrd
rrd/sahara/ifstat.bge3.rrd
rrd/sahara/ifstat.bge2.rrd
rrd/sahara/ifstat.bge0.rrd

I'm running 4.3.23, RPM package built from source.  These ifstat files
are 38K in size.

I would have guessed that the numbers were IP addresses, but you've got
two of them in that list starting with zero, and one ending with zero,
so if those are IP addresses, there may be an invalid address configured
somewhere.  And if they're not IP addresses, then I have no idea what
they are, and you may need to look into the client running on the host.

Thanks,
Shawn