[Xymon] XymonPSclient - mapped disks not reporting

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Thu Mar 22 03:08:09 CET 2018

Windows is a weird beast... It's not so much a matter permissions, but of context.  Those mapped drives just aren't even mounted if the monitor process isn't in the same context as
the one the mount(s) occurred in.

This isn't the xymon client, but it may illustrate:

Windows IIS/active server pages runs under a system account.  For IIS/ASP to have access to network resources (mapped drives etc) a file called global.asa does the mapping, in the
context of IIS/ASP.

Global.asa executes before ANY ASP runs to grant access to the network resource for the active server page.

This has to happen even if the network shares are already active and visible in the file manager.

I haven't seen ANY version of Windows where this isn't true, but I stand ready to be educated.