[Xymon] HELP- INSTALL CLIENT XYMON ON WINDOWS

Brandon Dale BDale at kitchengroup.com.au
Thu Mar 8 06:24:23 CET 2018

The PowerShell client only works in “Central” mode. So to monitor services and processes you need to add the relevant entries into your analysis.cfg file on your server.

Something like:

HOST=server01
                SVC testservice status=started startup=automatic
                PROC test.exe 1
DISK * 95 98
                DISK F IGNORE

For Disks it should pickup the disks automatically and use the values at the bottom of your analysis.cfg file or you can set your own values like above

The PowerShell client is much better than BBWin, it’s actively maintained and has a whole bunch of extra functionality and it’s written in PowerShell. On top of that it can replicate mostly everything BBwin already did with the exception of local mode. It even has its own update mechanism built into it and does hash checking on external scripts. It really is worth switching to.

For slimmode, I don’t actually use it but I do recall seeing something on this list about a bug in the current implementation, I’m not sure if that has been patched yet. You might be misunderstanding what slimmode does, it basically just stops certain sections of information being sent to the server so you can send smaller messages that contain less data. I assume this is for performance / security reasons. This is the information you will see in the clientlog column for the host in xymon. Or in you xymon powershell directory in the xymon-lastcollect.txt if you have that turned on. It is also the data that the server parses for each test so if you omit a bunch of services using slimmode then you won’t be able to report on their status.

Regards,
Brandon Dale