[Xymon] Alias for test name?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Fri Jun 1 20:25:54 CEST 2018

I'm looking for an easy way to have the same test result appear under
two different column headings. Here's an example:

Host foo.bar.com reports red for the test named 'sql'. This is cool for
one page in the xymon web interface. But on a different page, I want
that same test result to appear under a column named 'database'.

I'm currently getting this done by running the  'combostatus' task, and
having an entry in combo.cfg:
   foo.bar.com.database = foo.bar.com.sql

This works, but causes the state of 'database' to trail that of 'sql' by
one interval.

I've found the 'compact' tag, which lets one cram the status of several
tests into one. A line in hosts.cfg like:
    0.0.0.0   foo.bar.com # compact:database=sql
creates a new column named 'database' which closely tracks 'sql'. But
the column name is real, in the sense that the green/red bubble is
hyperlinked to svcstatus.sh?HOST=foo.bar.com&SERVICE=database rather
than to SERVICE=sql. There aren't any test results for 'database', so
the link isn't any good.

Can anyone suggest another way?

If 'combostatus' is the best I can use, what would be the consequence of
shortening its interval? If I shorten the interval (from 5min) to 3min
or 1min, my test aliases should track more closely to the real test
results. Is there some reason this interval shouldn't be shorter than
the common reporting interval?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration