[Xymon] Clean install on Ubuntu Server 16LTS or 18LTS

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Thu Jul 12 20:30:13 CEST 2018

On 7/12/2018 10:08 AM, Rod Clayton wrote:
> But there doesn't appear to be a default web page installed.

I don't expect a xymon package to install a web server.
If your Ubuntu shipped with a web server, you just need to tell it to
serve the pages created by xymongen. Otherwise, you need to install a
web server (like Apache) and then tell it to serve the pages xymongen
creates.

Note: This isn't a 'modern' web app which builds new content in real
time when each page is loaded. The xymongen process builds some files,
and your web server offers those files to your customer.

> I can't find any documentation on how to proceed with either of these
> distros except the one that just installs the package.

I deployed xymon on ubunto a few years ago. Unfortunately, I can't find
my notes on what process I used. Did I build from source or deploy a
package. I don't recall.

See http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/install.html
and go down to the portion "Configuring your webserver"

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska