[Xymon] Debian buster: Task libs terminated, status 2

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Tue Jul 10 20:13:40 CEST 2018

Package: hobbit-plugins
Version: 20180610
Severity: serious
Control: submitter -1 Jaap Winius <jwinius at umrk.nl>
Control: retitle -1 hobbit-plugins: libfile-slurp-perl only in Suggests, but used by the libs check which is enabled by default
Justification: Maintainer's opinion

Hi Jaap,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 04:35:22PM +0000, Jaap Winius wrote:
> This is really a bug report and a fix related to the current
> hobbit-plugins package for Debian buster.

Bug reports for Debian package should be reported to Debian, best via
the "reportbug" tool. Please do so the next time. For this time, I do
it for you with this mail by bcc'ing submit at bugs.debian.org. :-)

> Mon Jul  9 06:56:35 2018 /usr/lib/xymon/client/ext/libs
> hobbit.pm.uninitialized: Can't locate File/Slurp.pm in @INC (you may
> need to install the File::Slurp module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26.2
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.26.2 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.26
> /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26
> /usr/share/perl/5.26 /usr/local/lib/site_perl
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at
> /usr/lib/xymon/client/ext/libs line 33.
> Mon Jul  9 06:56:35 2018 /usr/lib/xymon/client/ext/libs
> hobbit.pm.uninitialized: Hobbit::max_color(): No colors given as
> argument at /usr/share/perl5/Hobbit.pm line 126.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/xymon/client/ext/libs line 33.
> Hobbit::max_color(): No colors given as argument at
> /usr/share/perl5/Hobbit.pm line 126.
>
> So, this problem was easily fixed by installing an additional Debian package:
>
>   ~# apt install libfile-slurp-perl
>
> In other words, this package needs to be listed as a dependency for
> hobbit-plugins.

Yes and no.

No, it should not be a hard dependency, because other checks in the
package works fine without that module and it should be possible to
use just a single check from the package without installing
dependencies only needed for other checks.

The rule is that checks which are enabled by default, should have
their (hard) dependencies in Recommends, so that they are installed by
default (at least with default APT settings :-). All other
dependencies should be under "Suggests".

And that's where the "yes" comes from: libfile-slurp-perl is only in
Suggests, but libs is installed by default. This happened when I added
support for /var/run/reboot-required to the libs check and used
File::Slurp for that: I knew that File::Slurp was already used in
other checks, but I didn't realize that all those other checks which
use File::Slurp are not enabled by default.

Will fix it soon in git and it will be fixed with the next upload.

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe at deuxchevaux.org  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet