[Xymon] State of the art for monitoring ESXi hosts?

Jonathan Trott jtrott at dancrai.com
Wed Jan 31 22:41:59 CET 2018

We run a CentOS VM with a standard xymon client install, we replace the
xymonclient-linux.sh with a customised version that uses esx-cli to report
on CPU (along with guest VM status), disk, and memory from the ESXi host.
We then have xymon extensions that report on disk consolidation, open
snapshots, temperature of host hardware (with a graph), and status of host
hardware (last two from the sensors view in esxi).
We have one VM running on each host so that purple will alert us if the
host goes down and we store the VM on the local datastore so that we get
alerts if a shared datastore goes offline for a particular host.
Has been working since ESXi 5, works fine on 6.5.
Happy to share if requested, although the code isn't very pretty!

Thanks,
JT