[Xymon] Configuring alerts

Dominique Frise dominique.frise at unil.ch
Tue Feb 20 08:51:55 CET 2018

Extract from analysis.cfg(5) man page :

DIRECTING ALERTS TO GROUPS
       For some tests - e.g. "procs" or "msgs" - the right group of people  to
       alert  in case of a failure may be different, depending on which of the
       client rules actually detected a problem. E.g. if you have PROCS  rules
       for  a  host  checking  both "httpd" and "sshd" processes, then the Web
       admins should handle httpd-failures, whereas "sshd" failures  are  han-
       dled by the Unix admins.

       To handle this, all rules can have a "GROUP=groupname" setting.  When a
       rule with this setting triggers a yellow or red status,  the  groupname
       is passed on to the Xymon alerts module, so you can use it in the alert
       rule definitions in alerts.cfg(5) to direct alerts to the correct group
       of people.

For example, in alerts.cfg, you would have:

HOST=myhostname

    PROC notepad.exe 1 GROUP=admins

And this in alerts.cfg:

HOST=myhostname SERVICE=procs GROUP=admins

    MAIL john at testlab.local

HTH,

Dominique

UNIL - University of Lausanne