[Xymon] ftp test with ":q" parameter

EDSchminke at Hormel.com EDSchminke at Hormel.com
Fri Sep 15 16:48:35 CEST 2017

I concur with Brian.  The most likely reason for the ":q" was an errant vi
quit command.

Looks like a ":s" would be valid.  I'll refer you to the manpage for
host.cfg (
http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man5/hosts.cfg.5.html),
under the heading "Simple Network Tests".  My reading of that suggests that
you would use that configuration directive to tell Xymon not to send any of
the test data defined for the service from the protocols.cfg file.

I'll also point out, that the :21 isn't necessary either.  This would only
be necessary if you wanted to test a service that would be running on a
non-standard port.  The example given is ssh.  Ordinarily, that runs on
port 22, but if you wanted to perform an SSH test listening on port 8022,
you would use "ssh:8022".

The default port number is defined in protocols.cfg (
http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man5/protocols.cfg.5.html)
.  If a port number for a defined service is not found, it will use what is
defined in /etc/services, if one can be found.

Erik D. Schminke | Associate Systems Programmer
Hormel Foods Corporation | One Hormel Place | Austin, MN 55912
Phone: (507) 434-6817
edschminke at hormel.com | www.hormelfoods.com