[Xymon] agents with pulldata - xymonfetch and ssh tunelling

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Oct 31 18:07:44 CET 2017

On 10/31/2017 8:37 AM, Pierre L wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to set up xymonfetch/msgcache with ssh tunnelling (because
> security does not want to open flows on port 1984).
>
> I have enabled xymonfetch (in tasks.cfg) and added pulldata (in
> hosts.cfg) on server side and also msgcache (in clientlaunch.cfg)
> and XYMSRV=127.0.0.1 (in xymonclient.cfg).
>
> I have done a ssh tunnel (ssh -L 1234:127.0.0.1:1984
>  IP_of_the_client) from the xymon server. My
> tunnel is ok but xymon logs still show that nothing happens, no pulldata.
>
> Is there something else I should do to enable this function?

I spent some time making xymonfetch/msgcache for for us. Some questions
for you:

Have you confirmed msgcache is listening on your remote host?

Have you looked in the xymonfetch logfile? This is an option which can
be defined in tasks.cfg

Have you tried running your xymonfetch manually to see what happens?
This is how I was eventually able to figure out my problems.

    ~/server/bin/xymoncmd ~/server/bin/xymonfetch --id=19 --debug

That will go through your hosts.cfg looking for pulldata tags. Those
hosts will then be asked for data. You may find that xymonfetch is not
querying the server:port combination you expect. You may find xymonfetch
is asking for data, and your client has not put anything into the msgcache.

What version of xymon are you running? Prior to [something pretty
recent], xymonfetch did not honor the "port" portion of the pulldata
tag. It would only query on port 1984. Look in the list archives, and
you will find my posts on this subject.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration