[Xymon] missing information

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Nov 1 21:19:16 CET 2017

On 11/1/2017 11:34 AM, Nguyen, ThanNhi wrote:
>     Which columns are appearing, and which are not?  Inline image
>     3 and Inline image 4
>
>     Are the same columns missing for each of the broken hosts?  Yes

Notice that host-2 and host-5 in your screen shot are showing 'purple'
for everything other than 'conn'. This indicates the client software on
each of them is not reporting in to the xymon server. If those clients
aren't reporting in, it isn't surprising the other columns are empty.

But you don't describe how you expect the missing columns to be
populated. Are those columns being populated by messages sent by your
clients, or are they being populated by server-side analysis or tests?

It may be the test results are being generated and not sent. It may be
the results are being generated and sent, but not matched to a host and
displayed. It may even be the results aren't even being generated. We
still need more information about your architecture.

If I had to throw a dart at the wall, my hypothesis is your test results
are being submitted to the xymon server under a short hostname, while
your clients are listed in hosts.cfg with a fully-qualified hostname.
This is only one of many possible reasons, and is based on many
unsubstantiated assumptions. I wouldn't even test this hypothesis
without first knowing more about where the the missing messages
originate. I know some folks prefer a more iterative approach to problem
solving than I, so there's my wild guess.

>     Do the absent columns appear for other hosts?  Yes

Do you expect all of the missing columns to be populated for all hosts
in that display group, or only some of the columns on some of the hosts?

>     Have you confirmed these hosts are not in a "group-only" display
>     group?  How do I check this?

I doubt this is the case as your screen shot shows all the hosts in one
display group. But to check, look in hosts.cfg and look for 'group-only'
where you would otherwise see 'group'.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration