[Xymon] multiple class assignment in hosts.cfg

David Winterstein dw at compositiv.com
Mon May 22 19:29:15 CEST 2017

Hey again,

I thought I might specify what I'm trying to achieve since I might just
be trying the wrong way.

I would like to configure the most hosts possible by some sort of
grouping or tags - the CLASS function in combination with analysis.cfg
and hosts.cfg seemed to be the right way to do this. But since I'm
running a pretty big network infrastructure with a lot of different
hosts that run different software combinations, I need to be able to
combine some check groups, i.e. the following in analysis.cfg:

  CLASS=web
    PROC  nginx 1 -1
    PROC  php*fpm 1 -1
    PROC  cron 1 -1
  CLASS=db
    PROC  mysqld 1 -1
  CLASS=deb7
    PROC  ntpd 1 -1
  CLASS=deb8
    PROC  systemd-timesyncd 1 -1

So I can just add the PROC checks I need via CLASS assignments in
hosts.cfg and don't need to add custom configuration for every server to
analysis.cfg:

  page myservers My Servers
    group domain1
      1.2.3.1  web.dom.tld  # *CLASS:deb7,web* trace ssh
      1.2.3.2  db.dom.tld   # *CLASS:deb8,db* trace ssh
      1.2.4.1  www.dom.tld  # https://www.dom.tld
      1.2.4.2  dev.dom.tld  # https://user:pass@dev.dom.tld
    group domain2
      1.2.3.10 srv.dom2.tld # *CLASS:deb8,web,db* trace ssh
      1.2.4.10 www.dom2.tld # https://www.dom2.tld

And so on... I've got way more combinations, so manually creating
combined classes like "deb7-web", "deb7-db", "deb7-web-db", etc. is not
really an option.

I can't imagine I'm the first person trying to do this since actually
it's pretty essential to have check groups for reduction of redundant
config bloat.

Any help or hints would be really appreciated!

Kind regards and thanks in advance,
  David Winterstein

--

Compositiv GmbH