[Xymon] Extra lines for non-existent data

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Mar 27 03:16:24 CEST 2017

Thanks Wim

I updated GRAPHS and appended "::1" to my test name as you suggested. But
the trends page still tries to show multiple graphs instead of one.

It's weird how the exact same graph definition attempts to display one too
many graphs for one server, and two too many graphs for another. It's a
mystery how svcstatus.cgi determines how many graphs to show.

I don't know how I could use the "linecount" hack for the trends page. I
should have mentioned that this is where the problem is.

This seems to be a problem that goes back a long time, and hasn't been
implemented in the best way, as suggested by comments in
generate_html_log():

* What we *really* should do was to scan the RRD directory and count how
many
* RRD database files are present matching this service - but that is way too
* much overhead for something that might be called on every status logged.

This makes sense. However, I wonder if the filesystem lookups required for
this would be cached by a modern filesystem, minimising the performance
impact and I/O penalty.

Nevertheless, in absence of reliable heuristics for guessing the number of
graphs required, it would be really valuable to be able to override the
guess in cases where the operator knows the correct answer. If I had
sufficient coding chops, I'd have a crack at adding a feature like this.
Perhaps another modifier like "::=n" to set the number to "n".