[Xymon] "Xymon [0] myhost:xymond stopped reporting (PURPLE)" status

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Sun Dec 31 01:23:37 CET 2017

We recently set up automated ReaR/fsarchiver backups on our systems, and
on some of our machines running older OSes this created havoc as
something ("fsarchiver5", we think) ran roughshod over the disk and
deleted thousands of files instead of archiving/backing them up.

This caused "xymonlaunch" to crash on a few of them.  Despite having
restored the missing files from tape backups, repeated re-launchings of
the "xymon-client" service and even a reinstall/upgrade (to 4.3.28)
we're still getting these purple alerts.  (It feels like Xymon is seeing
some file lying around and deciding that "xymonlaunch" is still in
crashed status because of it.)

How do I fix this?  I suppose I could do 'xymon 127.0.0.1 "drop myhost
xymond"' on my monitoring host but that just doesn't feel right ...

Thanks,

		- Greg