[Xymon] In the year 2036...

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Sep 28 19:39:42 CEST 2016

On 9/26/2016 2:59 AM, Ron Cohen wrote:
> Hi
> Someone with uncontrolled fingers changed the date on one of our HPs
> to 2036. since than, all xymon builtin alerts gone purple (all new
> stats are from the past :(  )
> is there a way of removing those 2036 entries without deleting all
> history?
> thanks
> _rony

Hi Ron,

If you're referring to the history files, it's possible but will require
some manual effort.

These are actually simple text files in your $XYMONVAR directory and the
offending line can be removed with your favorite text editing tool. The
only sticking point is that these do not have a final newline at the
end, and this is used when backscanning for time calculations as a
marker, so it's important to make sure that this format is generated
properly. You can do a live reload of the history page (which reads that
file in on each CGI hit) to confirm that no syntax errors are present in
a modified version. Usually this manifests by garbled date calculations
or missing event ranges.

If you're referring to the "current status display" and not a history
log, in theory that should get replaced by the next incoming message
just fine. xymond doesn't really care about the host's localtime or
epochtime; xymond_client only uses it for the "clock skew" RRD.

If there are RRD display issues, that will be quite a bit trickier.
IIRC, the process involves exporting data sets and reimporting them
using rrdtool similar to when you need to "de-spike" an erroneous data
value, but I've never actually done it myself.

HTH,
-jc