[Xymon] Just wondering if I'm the only one who's done this

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Sep 1 14:01:44 CEST 2016

Den 01-09-2016 07:33, Bruce Ferrell skrev:
> I've never ever seen it written up, and I've been a user since the
> days when xymon was BigBrother (yes, I know they aren't common
> code...
> xymon IS the spiritual descendant however)
>
> Recently, I started monitoring a remote service that was failing
> regularly.  It would send me an alert and I'd go fix the service.  I
> got tired of having to do the restarts so I
> looked a bit more into alerts.cfg.  Yes, I can send an alert via a
> script (do that all the time for sms)... Wait... Can that script do
> anything else?  Well, I'll be!  I wrote one
> to ssh into the offending system (key based authentication) and
> perform simple diags, collects relevant logs then restart the downed
> service.
>
> I have seen a number of times, "xymon/bigbrother doesn't restart
> things".
>
> Thoughts?  Concerns?

Sure, you can do that if it suits your way of working. And I can
certainly see why it would be nice to avoid restarting the same service
again and again.

The reason that Xymon doesn't do that "out of the box" is this: Xymon
has always been a "watch, but don't act" tool. And that is an
inheritance from the Big Brother days.