[Xymon] Just wondering if I'm the only one who's done this

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Thu Sep 1 07:33:58 CEST 2016

I've never ever seen it written up, and I've been a user since the days when xymon was BigBrother (yes, I know they aren't common code... xymon IS the spiritual descendant however)

Recently, I started monitoring a remote service that was failing regularly.  It would send me an alert and I'd go fix the service.  I got tired of having to do the restarts so I
looked a bit more into alerts.cfg.  Yes, I can send an alert via a script (do that all the time for sms)... Wait... Can that script do anything else?  Well, I'll be!  I wrote one
to ssh into the offending system (key based authentication) and perform simple diags, collects relevant logs then restart the downed service.

I have seen a number of times, "xymon/bigbrother doesn't restart things".

Thoughts?  Concerns?

Bueller? Bueller??