[Xymon] Page level conn status Purple, test level status Green

Boldt, David dboldt at usgs.gov
Thu Oct 13 23:36:38 CEST 2016

On the Display page we have a server where the conn test is persistently Purple,
but if one clicks on the status, the detailed Status page shows Green.

The DNS configuration may be causing issues:

  % dig +noall +answer natwebvaii01.er.usgs.gov
  natwebvaii01.er.usgs.gov. 43200 IN      CNAME   igsaaahigsvaii1.er.usgs.gov.
  igsaaahigsvaii1.er.usgs.gov. 300 IN     A       130.11.9.89

  % dig +noall +answer -x 130.11.9.96
  96.9.11.130.in-addr.arpa. 43200 IN      PTR     natwebvaii04.er.usgs.gov.

Hoped to be able to address this with hosts.cfg entry:

  130.11.9.89     natwebvaii01.er.usgs.gov        #
CLIENT:igsaaahigsvaii1.er.usgs.gov

alas no.

I'm not clear enough on how the status that is seen for an individual test is
propagated up to a page view to know where to look when there is a conflict.

--
                                         -- David Boldt
                                            <dboldt at usgs.gov>

  "A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved
from a simple system that works."
    --John Gaule