unusual xymon web page

usa ims usaims at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 17:47:42 CET 2016

This is on Ubuntu 14.04 using the apache2 in Ubuntu's default repository.
I just compiled xymon 4.3.27. The main page comes up fine (http://localhost/xymon) but when i click on the cpu, http, or any other red or green diamond, I get a white background with question marks inside a solid black oval in a white background. It seems like the charset is wrong or missing. Correct me if I am wrong. When I access the default index page from Apache2, it works fine. Any clue? TIA!