[Xymon] Testing IP address Pool for online Clients

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Nov 16 13:10:46 CET 2016

On Sat, November 12, 2016 4:12 pm, Clayton Lowther wrote:
> I was wondering, if you could setup xymon to check a pool of IP
> addresses for online clients. So say every DHCP pool ip address would
> populate when in use and show what device info it can?
>
> Any thoughts on How this would work?
> I know i Could use the Dialup and it would show a connection each time
> an IP address was in use but would like to see more info on what client
> etc.

I suppose it depends on whether utilization of IPs per se is the most
important thing or if you want direct access to the client report based
data.

Xymon uses the hostname as the determining factor when correlating
reports, while IP is secondary. xymongen doesn't currently integrate the
two.

If your list of clients is fixed, but could come in on any particular
address in the pool -- and *only* these clients are in that pool -- then
you can sort of simulate this with a normal list. Disconnected clients
will be clear, and you the regular page layout of, say, 32 hosts also
doubles as your pool report.

Regards,
-jc