[Xymon] strange behavior

Jason Brockdorf apocalysque at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 07:41:15 CET 2016

Well, I figured it out.
I uninstalled and reinstalled xymon server to see if using all stock would help and it didn't.  All I added back into hosts.cfg was ONLY the IPs and hostnames with no page definitions.
It was then either one of two things that I noticed (I didn't wait long enough between doing both of them to know which one fixed it...)
First: I commented out the default #directory /etc/xymon/hosts.d line (because I noticed everything above was working and everything below was not) and then I noticed something else while waiting for it to update:
In my history.log there was a bunch of lines: 2016-03-13 00:15:10.061160 Cannot create /var/lib/xymon/histlogs/someservername/cpu: File exists (someservername was one of the offenders)
So I went and deleted everything in /var/lib/xymon/histlogs
After that everything magically started to appear on the main page.  I believe it was deleting the directories in histlogs that fixed it because they didn't all come back at once, they came back a few at a time (just as my winscp was deleting the directories serially instead of all at once) but that could be the client updates were coming in at different times as well *shrug*.
I'm sure it was something I did wrong but it was extremely frustrating to say the least.  Perhaps Xymon could try to append (is that appropriate for those files?) in such a situation instead of just logging an error and giving up?
Thanks for all your help everyone that tried.