[Xymon] Monitoring logfiles with changing names on a linux client

Becker Christian christian.becker at rhein-zeitung.net
Tue Jun 14 12:48:42 CEST 2016

Hello out there,

i did already search for this, but couldn't' find the right things; further my perl regexp knowledge is not the best.

What I have:
I have a linux client with xymon agents up and running, reporting his data to the Xymon server -> this is working fine.
This linux client serves an application that creates 6 new different logfiles every day -> that's my problem.
The names of the lofgiles are like this: Log.File_ABC#_YYYYMMDD_######.log
The first # in the name could be numbers fom 1 to 6.
YYYYMMDD is the actual day date, like 20160414.
The ###### block is another numeric identifier, like 050601 or similar, which also changes every day, but not following any rule.

What I want:
My goal is to check those logiles for the keyword ERROR and let Xymon go red if this keyword occurs.
What I'm looking for is the necessary config on both the client (in localclient.cfg) and the xymon server (in client-local.cfg and analysis.cfg) using regexp.
I'm thinking about something like this to have in the linux client's localclient.cfg:
LOG `ls -1 Log.File_ABC*_`date +%Y%m%d\`_*.log`
But I'm not sure about the syntax here.
Further I need to know if and how this could be implemented in client-local.cfg and analysis.cfg  on the Xymon server.

Anyone any idea?

Regards
Christian

Christian Becker
IT-Services

Christian.Becker at rhein-zeitung.net<mailto:Christian.Becker at rhein-zeitung.net>
Mittelrhein-Verlag GmbH
August-Horch-Straße 28
D-56070 Koblenz
Verleger und Geschäftsführer: Walterpeter Twer
Reg.-Gericht Koblenz HRB 121
Finanzamt Koblenz Str.Nr. 22 65 10 285 2
www.rhein-zeitung.de<http://www.rhein-zeitung.de/>