[Xymon] Multiple Host Instances

Joshua Hunt joshuasocrates at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:19:23 CEST 2016

Hey all,

Sorry for the slew of questions here, I'm trying to finish up a project and
as an intern, I'm really trying to be able to finish before I have to go
back to school.

My current issue has to do with having multiple instances of a host. In my
hosts.cfg file, it looks like this:

page logs TEST1
group-only testing1|testing2|testing3|info|trends <font
size="+1">glog</font>
10.0.0.1 site.address.domain     # testing1 noping

page logs TEST2
group-only testing1|testing2|testing3|info|trends <font
size="+1">dlog</font>
10.0.0.1 site.address.domain     # testing2 noping

page logs TEST3
group-only testing1|testing2|testing3|info|trends <font
size="+1">zlog</font>
10.0.0.1 site.address.domain     # testing3 noping

This set up does run all my custom tests properly, however, each setup for
"site.address.domain" runs *all three custom scripts, *(testing1 testing 2
& testing3), causing the pages TEST1, TEST2, and TEST3 to *all turn red* if
any one of the other scripts turns red. In relevance to this, when I click,
for example, on my "TEST1" page, it will show that testing1, testing2, and
testing3 are all running for site.address.domain.

Due to the nature of my assignment, I need to separate these instances so
that for the first declaration of site.address.domain only runs testing1,
the second only runs testing2, and the third only runs testing3. I cannot
alter the setup to have multiple host.

Also, I will have ~24 tests that need to constantly be running, (8 per each
host), and they are *slightly* different. I don't have the space to simply
cram all 24 on one line.

So does anyone have any solutions and/or suggestions as to how I could
break up the host to have 3 completely separate instances on Xymon? I hope
this was a specific enough explanation

Thanks all! I really appreciate the community help I've been receiving
while setting this up, its been a huge boost to my education.

Cheers,
Joshua.