[Xymon] log monitoring hostname matching trouble

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Jan 14 04:41:14 CET 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 1:43 AM <EDSchminke at hormel.com> wrote:

> Is there anything I can do to reduce the 10 minute interval for testing
> purposes?

You can do as JC said.  Alternatively, manually run the xymonclient.sh
process (under xymoncmd as xymon user) and it should immediately pick up
any changes from the server.  This is a bit of an overkill for simply
fetching the update, and I don't know how it might interfere with the
normal process of running the client every 5 minutes.  So you can instead
do: echo "client $MACHINE.linux linux" | $XYMON $XYMSRV >
/path/to/logfetch.$MACHINE.cfg

I've never really been in enough of a hurry to do this, and I simply waited
out the 5+5 minutes.

I sent this file manually to the xymon server, but got no output

> sh-4.1$ $XYMON $XYMSRV "@" < $XYMONTMP/msg.lpcobwas2p.hfc.ad.txt
> sh-4.1$

Hmm.  Check out the first line of the file, see if it's different from the
"EOT" command-line you used.

> Sending your suggested test string yields the following:
>
> sh-4.1$ $XYMON $XYMSRV "@" << EOT
> client $MACHINE.linux linux
> EOT
> log:/var/log/messages:10240
> ignore MARK

That's a good sign.  I think this proves that all is OK on the Xymon server
(except possibly a mismatch of the hostname somehow).

> sh-4.1$ echo $MACHINE
> lpcobwas2p,hfc,ad
> sh-4.1$
>
> Interesting... but a) why doesn't that come back with the message file and

Yes, that is indeed the crux of the problem.  What you need to do is to
modify the command-line to be close to the file's first line, until it
fails.  Or modify the file's first line close to the command-line until it
works.  Then the last thing you change is where the problem is.

> b) it still doesn't match the hostname

Exactly which hostname are you referring to?  The hostname in hosts.cfg?
The hostname in the CLIENT: specification in hosts.cfg?  The output of
"uname -n" on the client?  Or $MACHINE on the client?

Lastly.. I'm still not clear on the correct format of a hostname definition
> for client/etc/client-local.cfg

For the client config to be fetched correctly, the important thing is that
$MACHINE on the client, under xymoncmd, is a match to the entry in the
client-local.cfg file, and that's all.  It doesn't matter what appears in
the hosts.cfg file.  The client gives xymond its name (and OS), and xymond
gives the client the matching section - the hostname if it is listed,
otherwise the OS name.

> Should it be
>
> lpcobwas2p (just hostname)
> lpcobwas2p.hfc.ad (period)
> lpcobwas2p,hfc,ad (commas)

Based on your commands showing $MACHINE, and the name of the msg file, it
should be the middle entry, FQDN with periods.  But you said none of these
works.

Cheers
Jeremy