[Xymon] MAGMA XYMon Web GUI Admin Now Available!

W.J.M. Nelis Wim.Nelis at nlr.nl
Thu Jan 7 08:47:18 CET 2016

On 06-01-16 00:31, Thomas Leavitt wrote:
> Are folks actively using MAGMA? I'm been casting around for a practical
> application to refresh my coding fu with, and since I love Xymon and use
> it every day, I thought it might be useful / fun to play around with
> enhancing the existing code (since it is GPL).
>
> I'm also thinking about hacking out some kind of tool that will take a
> CSV formatted input file, and use it to generate a hosts.cfg or a series
> of files (one per host) to be put in an include directory... that would
> allow, for instance, the ability to maintain a list of hosts elsewhere,
> and then simply import them into Xymon, rather than having to manually
> keep the two in sync. I suspect some folks already have the equivalent in
> place, but I'm not seeing such.
>
> Reactions?

Information from other sources generally do not contain all the information
needed to generate (a part of) the hosts.cfg. For instance the specific
tests to run for a server and the layout will often not be found in a
configuration database.

I decided to use a database specifying the available servers, networking
equipment, printers and so on to generate hosts.cfg. As a result, if a
server is retired, it's state changes in the database and the configuration
for that server is removed automatically from hosts.cfg.

The additional information needed to generate hosts.cfg is taken from
hosts.cfg itself. Thus I do edit hosts.cfg sometimes, such as adding an
extra test for a server. The base is (perl) script xymon.pm, available at
xymonton. (See https://wiki.xymonton.org/doku.php/addons:xymonconfigsync)

Regards,
   Wim Nelis.