[Xymon] Client startup on OS X

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Feb 9 19:30:47 CET 2016

On Tue, February 9, 2016 8:22 am, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> Ok, what I wanted to do seems to work fine.  Attached are the modified
> runclient.sh and my launchd plist file.  The latter would need the account
> name, group name, and pathnames modified as necessary (I installed in
> /Users/xymon/client, which may not be typical).
>
> The modified runclient.sh will also exec xymonlaunch rather than run it
> and wait for it, if --no-daemon is passed; might as well save one shell
> process. :-)  It also allows passing --debug and --verbose options through
> to xymonlaunch.  None of which should affect its conventional use.

>> On Feb 9, 2016, at 09:35, Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil2 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Older tricks for this included StartupItems, which apparently no longer
>> work as of Yosemite, let alone El Capitan.
>>
>> MacPorts has a really strange solution, but I'm not impressed at all
>> with it.
>>
>> I see that xymonlaunch has a --no-daemon option, which would allow the
>> sort of behavior that launchd expects.  An old post mentions an approach
>> using that:
>> http://lists.xymon.com/oldarchive/2009/05/msg00244.html
>>
>> Seems to me that if runclient.sh handled an extra command line option to
>> pass --no-daemon through to the xymonlaunch command line, it would
>> simplify matters somewhat, not requiring people to check that their
>> modified script was updated as needed; all that would be needed extra
>> would be a com.xymon.client.plist file to put in /Library/LaunchDaemons;
>> and that shouldn't vary from one update to the next.
>>
>> What I'm suggesting should probably work at least as far back as Snow
>> Leopard (OS X 10.6) if not further.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm on
>> my way to doing so.

Thanks for the submits. The launch method used here is very similar to the
that used on systemd systems, since they're both basically solving the
same problem. This runclient support is coming in 4.4.

The plist seems like something generic enough to include in the tarball,
I'd think
 The macports version itself seems somewhat out of date:

https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/net/xymon-client/Portfile

Regards,
-jc