[Xymon] HTTP test accessible local only

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Feb 3 22:11:59 CET 2016

On Fri, January 29, 2016 10:34 am, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Figured I could use a little bit of collective wisdom here:
>
> I have an HTTP service that is only accessible from the local machine
> (either connected to by a local app or a web browser that is launched from
> the server). I’d like to test that it is available. I don’t need any
> more specialized functionality than I would have from the HTTP test (maybe
> I’d set up an HTTP POST to actually log in).
>
> Is there a way to somehow cause the client to do this, without writing an
> external script, or some other way to do what I’m talking about that I
> might not have considered?

The client itself is purposefully dumb, so there's not too much one could
do without writing a script that actually performs an HTTP interaction.

However, if the port is static you could use the PORT criteria in
analysis.cfg(5) to ensure that something is up and "listen"ing on the
system, which might be better than nothing. On a normal install, that
could be done without any local config.

To really exercise it, especially as a POST service, I'd suggest a
wget/curl script as a client extension that simply reports a status
message back. Sometimes simplest is easiest.

HTH,
-jc