[Xymon] hostname retrieval is broken after adding a host

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Feb 2 01:59:25 CET 2016

On 2/1/2016 2:41 PM, J.C. Cleaver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Actually, I think I must have missed your final response on this at
> http://lists.xymon.com/pipermail/xymon/2015-December/042787.html ; my
> apologies.
>
> On what's happening, I think this might be a side-effect of
> https://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/7651/ , which added a dummy record
> for the purposes of command-line --test functionality when the host
> doesn't exist. For an incoming unknown host (from xymond_alert's
> perspective), the same path is being executed.

I've applied the patch to my non-production server and performed my
failure-reproduction steps. The behavior is certainly better. The alert
process is no longer tanking for every message received :)

What I do get, for a newly added host, is "Checking criteria for host
'foo.bar.com', which is not defined. Will not alert until hostlist
reload."  This happens following all subsequent runs of xymonnet.

Is there anything which will trigger a hostlist reload?

Is there a tidy way to manually reload the list?

It doesn't seem to happen until I kill the "xymond_channel
--channel=page" process. This seems like a hamfisted thing to do after
every edit of hosts.cfg :(

Related question:

If this is in main code, and not some odd-ball null/EOF/posix problem
(as has often tripped up my Solaris systems in the recent past), why am
I the only one seeing this failure? Why aren't the folks running linux
having their alerts fail?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services