[Xymon] Issue: graphs not updating

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Dec 2 19:22:15 CET 2016

On 12/2/2016 8:35 AM, Alessandro Tinivelli wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> i’m trying to introduce Xymon in my new company, so i’ve installed
> xymon on centos7 with precompiled packets from epel repo.
>
> All was going fine until a reboot: it happens that graphs are not
> updated: I see the correct “updated at…” but the line ends. More clear
> here
>
> https://postimg.org/image/6a5viq3yn/
>
> Restarting the service or rebooting the machine solves temporary the
> problem, but it comes back. The services seem to be up and running.
>
> Tried disabling selinux, without results.
>
> I did not find anything clear in the logfiles.
>
> Version is 4.3.27-1.el7
>
> **

This seems to be graphing-issue-Friday :)

This is usually an indication that there's data being lost somewhere in
the pipeline, or there's a bug in xymond_rrd's caching mechanism.

Are you seeing any evidence of dropped messages either in your clients
or in xymond_client's logs? Does xymond show any truncated/("bogus")
messages in its status output?

If not, can you enable debugging on xymond_rrd (either -USR2 or just add
--debug to the CMD line in tasks.cfg)? It should flush its cache within
a second or two of showgraphs.sh triggering it in via the rrdctl.<pid>
socket. If not, or if it's not happening in order, the RRD files can end
up like that. (I've also seen this when there are multiple xymond_rrd
processes running for the same channel (there should be two - one for
status, one for data), which will end up writing over each other and
clobbering RRA values. But that shouldn't normally be happening.)

Finally, can you run xymond_rrd in --nocache mode? If the graphs are
subsequently clean, then that pretty much rules out message transmission
issues elsewhere within xymon and we can focus on the RRD aspect.

Regards,
-jc