[Xymon] New remote summaries fail with "Invalid new testname" with at least 4.3.27

Axel Beckert beckert at phys.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 4 11:01:50 CEST 2016

Dear J.C.,

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 10:35:51AM -0700, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
[ Summaries vs Test Name Syntax ]
> >Is this a recent regression? (I found mails on this list about if
> >summaries really have been fixed in 4.3.20, but without much details.)
> >
> >Or am I missing something? Has the format of these messages become
> >stricter on purpose? If so, where are they documented? The "SENDING
> >SUMMARIES TO REMOTE XYMON SERVERS" section in hosts.cfg(5) seems to be
> >about "summary" items inside hosts.cfg, not about the syntax of the
> >summary messages.
>
> I believe this is a side-effect of
> https://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/7901/ , which tightened rules on both
> hostnames and test names. It was documented in the release notes as that,
> but didn't mention summaries at all.

No offense meant. I didn't look into the release notes because I was
looking for a general documentation on how summary messages should
look like. I just assumed that the test name syntax got tightened at
some point in the recent past and since it wasn't really important
_when_ this happened, I didn't look at the release notes.

> I think you're right in that the tightened rules are hitting the
> otherwise-unusual "summary summary.host.test" incorrectly, [...]  We
> ingest the entire hostsvc here and store it as the testname, which
> gets booted out.
>
> Testing a fix now.

Yay, thanks! Looking forward to the fix and will happily test it here.

> which is what's expected (and what is generated by xymongen and
> everything else)...

Didn't get that part. Parsed it as "It's incorrect, but expected." and
that doesn't make sense to me.

		Kind regards, Axel Beckert
--
Axel Beckert <beckert at phys.ethz.ch>       support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT H 6                  voice: +41 44 633 41 89