[Xymon] Regional Servers to Central

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Apr 7 01:52:37 CEST 2016

On Wed, April 6, 2016 3:48 pm, Galen Johnson wrote:
> Hey,
>

> I'm pretty sure this has been done (is possible).  I'd like to change my
> setup to have regional Xymon servers that communicate to a central server.
>  I know this is possible but...I can't open a connection back to the
> central server and have to use msgcache for my clients currently.  Is it
> possible to set up the regional servers such that my central server
> manages the alerting and lets me see the remote servers using msgcache (or
> some other xymon server config that can use msgcache-like config)? I've
> attached a diagram for what I hope to do.   If you can point me to a
> doc/web page, that would work to.

Can the regional servers push messages to the central server? If so, I
believe you could use xymonfetch on the regional systems (similar to what
you're doing now) reporting in (might have to use env variables on its
command line) to a local xymonproxy port, which is itself configured to
send both to the local xymond (on a non-standard port) as well as the
regional ones.

Kind of depends what you're looking for the regional servers to do though.
If all command and control remains central, then it's really just
functioning as a proxy itself... (+ xymonnet polling?)

-jc