[Xymon] DS - RRD based status override

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Apr 5 00:48:14 CEST 2016

On Mon, April 4, 2016 3:18 pm, Jason Brockdorf wrote:
> I've successfully set up monitoring for, and the ability to log in to a
> website on my xymon, and the content and https checks both work, but I'd
> also like the content column to be affected by the response time.
>

> The man page for analysis.cfg says I can use a DS tag to do so, but it
> also
> says that there's a colon in the syntax...
>
> DS column filename:dataset rules COLOR=colorname TEXT=explanation
>

> The problem I'm having is that the rrd filename (which was created
> automatically by xymon) has a colon in it.  How would I handle this while
> setting up my analysis.cfg file?  Do I escape that colon somehow?
> Double/single quote the filename?
>
> Does anyone here know or do I have to dig into the source?  I was unable
> find an answer in the man pages.

xymond_rrd will search for the last colon in that field, so the colons in
the URL should be okay. The '/''s in the URL, however, may need to be
rewritten as commas to match.

I had considered adding in a patch to allow HTTP URL's to be substituted
with a status column name for RRD purposes, when one is supplied (using
the =col syntax), which might help in this case as well. The original
requirement for that one was a URL with a CGI query that changed from time
to time but whose history we'd wanted to keep.

HTH,
-jc