[Xymon] buffer overflow detected in xymongen (4.3.21)

Axel Beckert beckert at phys.ethz.ch
Wed Sep 30 11:39:23 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 10:40:32AM -0700, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
> Would you be able to do a full BT on one of those core dumps?

Only with recompiling the packages.

> I'm not certain if Debian splits the debuginfo off into a separate
> package (like is done on the RH side), but that might need to be
> installed first.

We currently don't build debug packages for Debian's xymon
package. They're (currently) optional in Debian and only present if
the package's maintainer adds them explicitly. And we didn't need them
for xymon so far.

Debug packages in Debian will change generally in the near future as
automatically built debug packages will be available in Debian
Unstable soon-ish. So I won't manually add debug packages to the
official Debian package as they will become obsolete soon. And because
adding them requires some additional review process.

So I'll try to add debug packages to my backports the classical way by
specifying them manually.

P.S.: No new crashes since I disabled the WML generation yesterday,
but that's probably not yet a significant amount of time. ;-)

   Kind regards, Axel (one of Debian's xymon package maintainers)
--
Axel Beckert <beckert at phys.ethz.ch>       support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT H 6                  voice: +41 44 633 41 89