[Xymon] trimhistory error

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Sep 23 20:39:46 CEST 2015

On 9/23/2015 8:07 AM, Dirk Kastens wrote:
> Oh, I'm using Xymon 4.3.20-1.el6.terabithia

Dirk,

I'm not aware of any specific issue with the trimhistory command. If you
were following along with the test RPMs last year there was a bug in
xymond_history that could sometimes cause this in 4.3.18-0.0.7464 that I
believe was fixed by 4.3.18-0.0.7471. It may be a left-over line from
around that time, if you were running that.

A quick fix is to re-split the lines on the datestamp so that the
history CGI can read through it.
Something like (untested!): perl -pe 's/(\d+)([A-Z][a-z]))/\1\n\2/'
<historyfile> might correct the display (and can be run recursively once
tested).

If previously-OK history files are being clobbered by trimhistory going
forward, that's definitely a problem. Do you think you might be able to
gather a before/after file set in that case? It would definitely help
with debugging.

Additionally, I'd recommend upgrading to RPM 4.3.21-4, though I don't
believe there are any specific fixes that would affect this there.

HTH,
-jc