[Xymon] Xymon URL Monitor

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Oct 28 23:49:03 CET 2015

> *From:* Xymon <xymon-bounces at xymon.com> on behalf of Benedicta Joseph
> <bjoseph at enstage.com>
- snip -
> I have configured Xymon Server. Can anyone tell me , how to Monitor URL
> through Xymon? Xymon must send alert, if I’m able to open that URL.

> On 10/28/2015 2:40 PM, Galen Johnson wrote:>
>> Depends on the type of test you need.  Check out
>> http://xymon.org/help/manpages/man5/hosts.cfg.5.html  and scroll down to
>> "HTTP TESTS".   This is also available from your Xymon server under the
>> "Help" tab.  You'll also need to configure the alerts if you haven't
>> already.

If you want a red alarm if you are able to retrieve the result, you
probably want to use the HTTPSTATUS test of Xymon. From the man-page:
> httpstatus[=COLUMN];URL;okstatusexpr;notokstatusexpr
>     This is used to explicitly test for certain HTTP statuscodes returned when the URL is requested. The okstatusexpr and nokokstatusexpr expressions are Perl-compatible regular expressions, e.g. "2..|302" will match all OK codes and the redirect (302) status code. If the URL cannot be retrieved, the status is "999"

something like:
httpstatus=web;http://foo.bar.com/robots.txt;4..|[1-9]..

will try to retrieve http://foo.bar.com/robots.txt and put the results
under a column titled "web". It will be green if the HTTP return code is
anything in the 400s. It will be red in all other cases.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration