[Xymon] TIME parameter in analysis.cfg

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Oct 8 16:35:54 CEST 2015

On Thu, October 8, 2015 1:37 am, Neil Simmonds wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just wanted to check I have my understanding of the TIME parameter on
> rules
> in analysis.cfg correct.
>
> If I have the following lines in analysis.cfg
>
> DISK /nmon 95 98  TIME=W:0800:1800
> DISK /nmon 95 101
>
> then if I'm correct this will give the 95/98 thresholds between 08:00 and
> 18:00 on weekdays and the 95/101 thresholds at all other times?
>
> Clarification of this would really help me with some exclusions I need to
> set up.
>
> Regards,
> Neil.

Hi Neil,

This is correct. Rules take into account HOLIDAYS, TIME, and EXTIME
values, and one that doesn't match the current datetime will be skipped
over when it's time to evaluate colors.

For 'DISK' checks, the first matching rule wins (which is why the
'DEFAULT' section should be at the bottom of analysis.cfg and any
analysis.d/* sort of config file loading should be just prior to it) and
is considered the "canonical threshold" for that partition.

You can run 'xymoncmd xymond_client --dump-config' and should be able to
follow the exclusion logic linearly.

For things that aren't just threshold evaluations (which includes PROC
checks), multiple rules can match and all of them are generally applied
(with separate sub-status lines). As usual for all xymond_client tests,
the worst color within that status is the overall color of the status.

A suggestion was made a while back to allow a 'DEFAULT'-like tag onto
individual (non-threshold) rules, which would have them apply only if no
other rule had applied yet. Unfortunately, the logic for that would be
rather spread out and "intentional exclusions" are tricky to track, so
it's a non-trivial logic patch.

HTH,
-jc